There has been some interest from the RMCP community around the importance of keeping the Skills Inventory up to date and accurate and just how to do that. Here I’m just reiterating some of the best practices from the cohort discussion:
1. Create an easy to read report of skills inventory and consultants, including last updated date.
2. Distribute automatically or manually to your field consultants copying any pertinent management members who might provide support.
3. Highlight consultants who have recently updated their skills inventory to reinforce good behaviors.
4. Remind the team of the policy around frequency of updates.
5. Assign a clear deadline for the required updates to skills inventory. Allow for work to update over the weekend and make the assignment due on a Monday.
6. Follow-up with a reminder the Friday before the due date as to how many team members have updated and how many remaining to be updated.
7. Survey post-update to find out if there are areas for improvement.
8. Management or Subject Matter Expert validates the updates and may question individuals that may have overassessed strengths or under assessed a strength area.
9. Agree on a formal retirement plan for skills in the database that may no longer be relevant. Perform annual clean-up of skills inventory.
Do you have other things to add to this list? Thanks to my fellow RM’s at Compugen & Informatica for their input on this list.