What is RMCP®The Resource Manager Certified Professional (RMCP)® program is a first-of-its-kind professional certification program for resource managers.
Why is the professional certification for resource management (RM) necessary?Execution of various services delivery operations is labor intensive. With cost, quality and predictable project performance becoming increasingly important to service operation success, RMCP® fills a void in the industry by addressing the need for more standardized approaches to the RM discipline. It also provides professional development opportunities for RM professionals.
Is the RMCP® program for individuals or companies?Both individuals and companies can benefit from the program. See next question.
Who should apply for the RMCP® program?The program is ideal for:
- People who work as or lead Resource Managers or perform RM related tasks
- Professional and Consulting Services, internal IT departments, product development teams, and other shared services organizations
- Operations or People Managers who need a stronger knowledge of RM
- Professionals and companies who want to update their current RM knowledge with industry accepted best practices
- People who want to break into the competitive and growing RM profession
- People who strive for career advancement
- Companies needing to standardize on a proven resource management process
- COMPANIES THAT WANT TO SUSTAINABLY IMPROVE RM EFFECTIVENESS BY BUILDING
ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCY AND DEPTH IN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Is the RMCP® program targeted at professionals in a particular industry?No. The underlying methodology taught in this certification program addresses the need to manage either billable or productive utilization of human capital in any industry. It is applicable to billable resources like consultants and professional services people, but is equally valuable to managing other productive pools of people or shared resources. Examples might be software development teams, Enterprise/IT departments of any type company, product development teams, instructors of training companies and more. The program is also a very good fit anywhere project-based work is being conducted.
Is there someplace I can go to learn more about the program?
Completion of the certification may offer the following benefits:
- Help you and your company more predictably improve RM results and project performance
- Provide an increased arsenal of tools and techniques to facilitate your daily work
- Provide for a standardized proven process for resource management for adoption enterprise-wide
- Gain access to industry thought leadership and best practices, including the RMI Community – the online venue where resource management professionals can network and collaborate
- Increase on-the-job confidence and employee satisfaction
- Demonstrate commitment to the RM discipline
- Provide professional development and networking opportunities for people dedicated to
the RM discipline
Are there eligibility requirements for the program?Yes. The requirements are outlined in the RMCP® handbook found at this link.
If I do not qualify, is there other training available for someone entering the RM field?Yes. The RMI offers an Introduction to Resource Management class which you can attend in on-line, classroom, or on-demand formats. Private classes for companies with 10 or more people to train are also available. This link will take you to the Introduction to Resource Management page for more information.
How is certification testing administered?The test is administered online and results are immediate.
Can I retake the test if I fail?Yes. The program guidelines allow up to two retests within a 12 month period.
How long is the certification good for?Two years from the time you pass the exam.
How do I maintain my certification?RMCP® professionals recertify every two years by one of two methods:
- Retest or;
- Demonstrate completion of 20 Professional Certification Units (PCUs)
How do I qualify for PCUs?PCU qualification is explained in the RMCP® handbook available here.